Wednesday, December 4, 2013
From nothing to more then I thought.
Tuesday, November 12th I had my appointment with my OB-GYN. My bleeding had slowed down a lot but my pain was still pretty bad. He had delievered me and some of my siblings so I knew him a little. I told him all that was going on and he told me he was going to look at his as what what he do if I was his daughter. He said he felt I needed surgery and because I was going on a trip for thanksgiving he scheduled it for a couple days after I got home, December 3rd. He also does an exam that not a lot of OB-GYN's do where he can feel the endometriosis before he does surgery which he did that day as well. I felt pretty good after being there a couple hours and having all my questions answered and went home to talk to my husband about it. He also felt good about the surgery so we decided to go with it. The next day, Wednesday, I was feeling worse. The bleeding had picked up so much worse and the pain was horrible. I went to work and after finishing only half of my work I called my husband just in tears. I was in so much pain and couldn't finish. My friend that works there said she would finish for me so I went and laid down in my tahoe in tears until my husband got there. He took me home and I went to bed. Thursday I called my OB-GYN telling him that it had gotten so much worse and he told me to fast after midnight and call the next day if it hadn't settled down and he would do emergency surgery. He also told me to go to the ER and get some IV pain medication to see if I could get on top of my pain and avoid the surgery and hopefully the bleeding would slow again as well. The IV pain meds only helped for maybe a half hour then I was in horrible pain again. They told me to go home and take my oral pain medicine and hopefully together it would calm down. It took of the edge some and I was finally able to get a little more sleep. Friday came and it still hadn't calmed down. I waiting until the late morning and called the OB-GYN office. The doctor had told me he had a major surgery so I knew he wouldn't be in until later so I talked to the nurse and she called his cell phone or paged him. He wanted me to go get another ultrasound even though I had just had that one a couple weeks ago and then go into his office. They didn't see anything on the ultrasound which he expected it might not show because sometimes it doesn't show endometriosis. He also didn't see polycystic ovaries which was good news but didn't mean I didn't have it. He told me he was going to do the surgery the next day, Saturday, after 2 other emergency surgeries he had. They called the hospital and made the appointment for 10 in the morning. I went home and ate lotsa food since I had been fasting all day and knew I had to the next day too.
The next morning we arrived at the hospital at the same time my mom and my sister from out of town got there. I knew my mom was coming but not my sister so it was a good surprise! They definatly kept my mind off of surgery by keeping me laughing. After being poked a few times the nurse finally got an IV in. My veins have always been a pain to poke and it was worse that I was fasting. The pain started to get pretty bad because I wasn't able to take any pain medication because I was fasting so the nurse called the doctor and he ordered IV pain medication. After a few hours the anesthisologist came in, then the doctor, and finally they rolled me in my bed to surgery. They talked to me for a bit while getting all set up then giving me the medicine and finally I was asleep. I had just barely woke up in recovery when the doctor said something about there being internal bleeding and endometriosis and I couldnt really understand what he was saying. I was wheeled back to my room where my husband told me what the doctor had told him. I had moderate endometriosis and it was too bad to laser it all out. He had gotten some out but some was too deep like the roots so it could damage my organs if he would've tried to laser it all out. I also had a lot of internal bleeding all over my abdomen from my heavy periods overloading my tubes and it coming out into my stomach. He said it was irratating my intestines and organs causing extra pain. Then what surprised me was I had severe polycystic ovaries. Normally ovaries are bumpy but mine had stretched out over double its size and had no bumps and looked very irratated and I have nevere ovulated. The doctor said he was going to talk to specialist in Utah to get his opinoin on what we should do. My doctor knew what to do to get rid of the endometriosis but wanted to talked to him about my ovaries. The waiting game once again. I was pretty bummed out because I was hoping for just mild endometrisosis so that after surgery treatment would be a lot easier. At the same time I was so thankful it wasn't severe endometriosis and I didn't have to have a hysterectomy. I couldn't believe the hospital a few hours away that is suppose to be such a good hospital was going to do a hysterectomy on me at age 16. That's just crazy from what I know now. Anyway, I was suppose to go home that night but as my husband was helping me from the bathroom back to bed my side pain hit worse then ever and I started to drop to the floor it was so horrible. I was in tears and my husband helped me sit back down. The tech came in and after a minute I was able to make it back into bed with their help. Of course they did blood work and my liver numbers were up again. My OB-GYN called my family doctor and they both were coming in trying to get my pain under control but still no answer on the liver numbers or why I was having pain in my liver area. I ended up staying until Tuesday when we finally got the pain under control with oral pain medication. The OB-GYN called the next day to check on me and told me he had talked to the specialist. They both felt I needed to start lupron shots to get rid of the endometrisos as well as shrink down my ovaries. He told they they both would do paperwork and write the insurance to make sure they helped with the cost of the shots. What the lupron shots do is put my into menopause. I will get it every month for 6 months and then after I will go outta menopause and start fertility pills. Gotta love the waiting game. :) The next week was thanksgiving and I was determined to go on our trip even though it was driving for a couple days and overnight through a few states and a few days there then driving for a couple days and overnight again. Friday (almost a week after surgery) I had an appointment with my family doctor who cleared me to go medically but told me I would be miserable in that much pain. I decided to play it by ear and decided to for sure go Sunday since we were leaving Monday. I actually felt a lot better Monday and felt better about going as well. I had a blast. Thursday which was Thanksgiving the pain seemed a lot worse again. I couldn't figure it out and was really struggling. Friday was bad too and that night I noticed I started my period already! No wonder the pain was so bad. The doctor had said pain from all the problems inside me is worse when I am on my period. He also said my endometriosis grows when I am on my period. I was glad I had an appointment Monday, the day after getting home. The drive home was hard and I was so fatigued. I slept a lot when we got home and my husband got work off a little early to take me to the OB-GYN appointment. My incision healed good which they haven't hurt much. They had a paper to fax in left now I am just waiting for the call to get the lupron shot. I am bleeding heavier every day and the pain is continuing to get worse. He also told me on Monday I needed to get an insulin resistance test which he told me I needed someone there to drive me home since it will make me sicker then most people. I went and got that done yesterday. You fast and then get your blood drawn as soon as you get there and then you drink nasty stuff when that test comes back and wait a half hour and get it drawn again then you get it drawn every half hour for another couple hours. I thought I was lucky when I left the hospital and wasn't really sick at all. My husband took me to get food and I went to work. Not long after being at work I started shaking SO bad, my skin was on fire and red, and I was SO sick and SO lightheaded. It was horrible but calmed down after a bit and after I finished my husband followed me home. The doctor told me depending on what the test says I may need to go to Utah to the specialist and start on another medication along with the lupron shots. I will also call the doctor when I get any side effects from the lupron like hot flashes, depression, etc. and he will prescribe me something for any of the side effects. Then we will play the waiting game of how the shots doing and if anything doesn't go as planned he will send me to the specialist. I really hope the shot works and I dont need to add any other medications and that I am able to come of the shot easy and start my fertility pills. The endometriosis could be gone forever after this or after my pregnancy it could come back once I have periods again. Then I will have to keep having surgery to laser it out every time it comes back if it does. Hopefully it goes away and stays away! I will blog as I start my shot and go through treatment unless my blood work for the insulin test comes back first and I know if we ahve to do something about that. Oh! I forgot to add this earlier. The reason I brought up the side pain is because my family doctor brought up I could have cysts all over my liver or as rare is it is, it is possible there is endometrisosis up there. I guess some people get it up close to their nose and their nose bleeds a lot. Pretty interesting. It will be interesting to see if this treatment takes away the side pain. Then we will know what the mysterious side pain and liver numbers means.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment