Wednesday, December 4, 2013
Did you say surgery?
The end of September I noticed my low back was hurting really bad. I have never had pain like that in my low back but figured I must have hurt it somehow. Then a few days later I started my period. (I had always been heavy and abnormal on timing but for over a year I have been getting it every 4-6 months and it would be so heavy and last for two weeks to a month.) We were going camping the day after I started. I noticed the first day of camping it was a little heavier then usual but didn't really think much of it. The second day it was even heavier. My cramps were SO painful as well as my low back and stomach pain. The day after going home it had gotten so bad I started to become a little worried. I started hemorrhaging and would have to wake up in the middle of the night to shower and change because it had gotten so bad. I was very light headed and the pain was unbearable. I would wake up and have to stay in bed all day until I would go to work for a couple hours then I would come home and go back to bed. After almost a week and a nurse friend and a family member becoming a nurse telling me to go in, I finally called my doctors office. He wasn't in both days I called so I finally called an OB-GYN office and the soonest one that could get me in was with a nurse practitioner the next week. I had never been to an OB-GYN so I didn't really know what to expect. When I went to the doctors office on Monday it had been 10 days since I started and The nurse practitioner was very nice. She told me I was probably just having a heavy period. She said my periods were confusing my body and that I needed to start on medication to get them back to normal because when a period is that abnormal I am more at risk for cancer. She told me to call if the pill started my period a month after the last and she would refill it. If it wasn't working I would go back in and look at other options to get it more normal. I felt really dumb of going into the doctor for just a heavy period and I couldn't believe that what I had just gone through was just a heavy period. I started the hormone medication before I had stopped bleeding like the nurse practitioner had told me and spotted for a few weeks until it was out. I started bleeding the day after stopping it but it was pretty like for about 4 days. Then early one morning I woke up and had hemorrhaged and the pain was worse then it had ever been. I was doubled over in pain all day. I was on 10mg of hydrocodone for my migraines as well as IB profeun in between which didn't seem to even touch the pain. After hours and the pain getting worse I finally called the nurse practitioner at the OB-GYN office. I told her what was going on and the medication I was on and she didn't seem too concerned and didn't seem to understand that I had been on that pain medication for almost a week no matter how many times I said it and kept telling me to start it that day. I was so frustrated when I hung up I couldn't believe I was being such a wimp about a heavy period again! After my sister threatening to call the nurse practitioner if I didn't I decided to call my family doctor just to see what he had to say about it. If he said it was a heavy period then I would just give up on having a feeling it was more then a heavy period. I was able to talk to the nurse and she was shocked the the nurse practitioner said it was just a heavy period and wouldn't listen to me about the pain medication I was on. She told me to call back and get it through her head that I was on a lot of pain medication and how much pain I was in. I told her I didn't really want to talk to her again but just wanted to know if I needed to come into my doctor. She felt I needed to be seen right then and then handed me off to the doctor who agreed. He told me to go right in. After visiting with me for a minute my doctor sent me to ultrasound. They found excessive fluid that shouldn't have been there and my doctor told me I had a cyst rupture. He prescribed me 15 mg of oxycodone and told me to make an appointment with an actual OB-GYN and not to go back to that nurse practitioner. He brought up endometriosis and told me if the pain wasn't gone in a few days there was more then a ruptured cyst going on. I left and called the OB-GYN office and they told me the next appointment was weeks out. They asked what I needed to be seen for and I told them I had just been to the doctor and was told I had a ruptured cyst and he brought up endometriosis. She then was able to get me in sooner which was over a week away. I went home and stayed in bed all weekend. After a few days my doctor called to see how I was doing and I told him I was in horrible pain still and still bleeding pretty heavy. He said most likely the OB-GYN will do surgery because that was the only way to really diagnose endometriosis. The waiting game began to find out if I had to have surgery or not. I just had to make it to my appointment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment